4th Day of Call-In Week Of Solidarity With Oscar Lopez Rivera
ALTERNATE FAX NO: 202-492-5307
UPDATE: On February 2, the US Parole Commission indicated that Oscar Lopez RIvera’s case was designated an “Original Jurisdiction” case, and they expect to make a decision by NEXT WEEK, Friday, February 11, to confirm or reject the negative recommendation by the US Parole Examiner on Puerto Rican Political Prisoner Oscar López Rivera, #87651-024, currently incarcerated at FCI Terre Haute. Oscar, 68 years old, is presently serving his 30th year of prison for struggling for Puerto Rican independence.
This means that we have one more week to GATHER SIGNATURES, CALL-IN and SEND FAXES. Please CALL, FAX and MAIL!
Summary of yesterday, Thursday, February 3
We estimate that the US Parole Board received between 200-250 calls from Puerto RIco, Mexico and various cities across the US. The phone lines, as well as the fax line, have been busy for 20-25 minutes at a time and sometimes seems to be permanently busy. PLEASE DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. KEEP TRYING. Various people have been told that the only way to make their opinions heard is ONLY through writing. KEEP CALLING, FAXING AND MAILING YOUR LETTERS TO THE US PAROLE BOARD THROUGHOUT NEXT WEEK. Spread the word on your personal and organizational Facebook account. WE WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW AS SOON AS WE HEAR WORD FROM THE PAROLE COMMISSION.
FROM THE CAMPAIGN:
One caller from Chicago was told that the Commission had received over 5000 letters, just from Chicago!
The USPC has been refusing to meet with high-level delegations from the Church in Puerto Rico (a coalition which includes the Archbishop of San Juan), and other delegations from the US.
They have also denied requests to 6 media outlets to travel to FCI Terre Haute, where Oscar is imprisoned to interview him about his case.
PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING 3 THINGS:
1) DAILY CALL-IN CAMPAIGN EXTENDED TO NEXT WEEK (Jan 31-Feb 11): CALL the Parole Board in support of Oscar Lopez Rivera from 9:00am UNTIL 5:00 PM (EST) CALL and have others call. It only takes 5 minutes. THE NUMBER IS: 301-492-5990 hit 0 to speak to operator. They will tell you that you must send your opinion in writing. That is fine. KEEP CALLING ONCE A DAY UNTIL FRIDAY, FEB 11. PLEASE DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. Sample script is below.
Hi, I’m calling for the release of Oscar Lopez and I live in Chicago [NY, etc.] The Parole Commission should parole Oscar López # 87651-024 immediately, in spite of the hearing examiner’s recommendation to deny parole.
IF YOU HAVE TIME, USE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
1) Oscar has the support of a broad sector of Puerto Rico’s civil society as well as Puerto Rican and Latino communities throughout the United States.
2) Oscar was not accused or convicted of causing injury or taking a life. He was never accused or convicted of participating in the 1975 Fraunces Tavern bombing or any other action that resulted in injury or death.
3) President Clinton’s determination that Mr. López Rivera’s sentence was disproportionately lengthy, and his offer that would have resulted in Mr. López Rivera’s release in September of 2009.
2) Download the attached letter and fax it right away. (FAX NO: 301/492-5543, ALTERNATE FAX NO: 202/492-5307)
The US Parole Commission has stated their intention to make their decision by Feb. 11. Get as many of your friends, family. colleagues and forward to your Facebook and retweet. You can also download the letter at the National Boricua Human Rights Network website here.
3) MAIL Letters to:
Isaac Fulwood, Chairman
United States Parole Commission
5550 Friendship Boulevard, Suite 420
Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815
Re: Oscar López Rivera, #87651-024, FCI Terre Haute
Please keep close track of the letters sent/faxed to the Parole Board and let us know at email@example.com.
WE CAN HELP FREE OSCAR,
Alejandro Luis Molina