Parole Board extends time to make decision about Oscar Lopez Rivera
Oscar Lopez Rivera’s attorney, Jan Susler, spoke to a representative of the US Parole Board, February 2. She was informed that the Commission has indicated that Oscar’s case has been designated an “Original Jurisdiction” case, and because of that, they have been reviewing the case and expect to make a decision by NEXT WEEK, February 11.
This means that we have one more week to GATHER SIGNATURES. Please CALL, FAX and MAIL!
4th Day of Call-In
WEEK OF SOLIDARITY WITH OSCAR LOPEZ RIVERA
Summary of yesterday, Wednesday, February 2
We estimate that the US Parole Board received between 250-300 calls from Puerto RIco, Mexico and various cities across the US. The phone lines, as well as the fax line, have been busy for 20-25 minutes at a time and sometimes seems to be permanently busy. PLEASE DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. KEEP TRYING. Various people have been told that the only way to make their opinions heard is ONLY through writing. KEEP CALLING, FAXING AND MAILING YOUR LETTERS TO THE US PAROLE BOARD THROUGHOUT THE WEEK. Spread the word on your personal and organizational Facebook account. WE WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW AS SOON AS WE HEAR WORD FROM THE PAROLE COMMISSION.
CALL IN TODAY!
The US Parole Commission has said they intend to make their decision to confirm or reject the negative recommendation by the US Parole Examiner by February 11, on Puerto Rican Political Prisoner Oscar López Rivera, #87651-024, currently incarcerated at FCI Terre Haute. Oscar, 68 years old, is presently serving his 30th year of prison for struggling for Puerto Rican independence.
The National Boricua Human Rights Network and the Puerto Rico-based Comité Pro-Derechos Humanos are urging the parole commissioners to reject the wrong-headed and politically punitive recommendation of the parole examiner. We intend to swamp the Parole Board with letters, faxes and calls until they respond positively.
PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING 3 THINGS:
1) DAILY CALL-IN CAMPAIGN FOR THIS WEEK (Jan 31-Feb 4): CALL the Parole Board in support of Oscar Lopez Rivera from 9:00am UNTIL 5:00 PM (EST) CALL and have others call. It only takes 5 minutes. THE NUMBER IS: 301-492-5990 hit 0 to speak to operator. They will tell you that you must send your opinion in writing. That is fine. KEEP CALLING ONCE A DAY UNTIL FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 11. PLEASE DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED. Sample script is below.
Hi, I’m calling for the release of Oscar Lopez and I live in Chicago [NY, etc.] The Parole Commission should parole Oscar López # 87651-024 immediately, in spite of the hearing examiner’s recommendation to deny parole.
IF YOU HAVE TIME, USE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
1) Oscar has the support of a broad sector of Puerto Rico’s civil society as well as Puerto Rican and Latino communities throughout the United States.
2) Oscar was not accused or convicted of causing injury or taking a life. He was never accused or convicted of participating in the 1975 Fraunces Tavern bombing or any other action that resulted in injury or death.
3) President Clinton’s determination that Mr. López Rivera’s sentence was disproportionately lengthy, and his offer that would have resulted in Mr. López Rivera’s release in September of 2009.
2) Download the attached letter and fax it right away. (FAX NO: 301/492-5543, ALTERNATE FAX NO: 202/492-5307)
Remember the Parole Commission has stated their intention to make their decision by Feb. 4. Get as many of your friends, family. colleagues and forward to your Facebook and retweet. You can also download the letter at the National Boricua Human Rights Network website here.
3) MAIL Letters to:
Isaac Fulwood, Chairman
United States Parole Commission
5550 Friendship Boulevard, Suite 420
Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815
Re: Oscar López Rivera, #87651-024, FCI Terre Haute
Please keep close track of the letters sent/faxed to the Parole Board and let us know at email@example.com.